Title: Operations and Wellbeing Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Range: $70,000-$90,000 dependent on experience, with opportunities for advancement
To Apply: Complete application at our hiring site Operations and Wellbeing Director
About United 4 Children
United 4 Children (U4C) makes children a priority. By providing children with healthy meals, creating safe places to learn and play, and providing social-emotional and inclusive services for children with special needs or challenging behaviors – United 4 Children ensures every child has the foundation to thrive. U4C offers high-quality support programs serving children up to 13 so that families can feel at ease knowing their children, regardless of ability, are receiving the best care possible and have every opportunity to succeed.
United 4 Children’s Values
At United 4 Children, it is expected that we center our common values in the work that we do individually and together. We hold each other accountable to live out these values in our work and celebrate with each other as we demonstrate the following:
- Community – We put the needs and desires of children, families, and caregivers at the center of our work. We partner with schools and fellow nonprofit organizations to create excellent educational and developmental opportunities for every child in the region.
- Trust – For the last 50 years, we have been honest and earnest in all our interactions. We strive to readily meet community needs particularly where other resources do not exist.
- Equity – We seek to understand the disparities facing children, families, and childcare providers. We ensure everyone has access to the resources needed to thrive.
- Empathy – We strive to understand the unique experiences of every person we encounter. We respect each person’s journey and seek to support everyone’s specific needs.
Overview: will ensure United 4 Children’s (U4C) overall success by effectively and efficiently managing our day-to-day business operations. This position is responsible for ensuring U4C has the right people, financial resources, a safe environment, and the operational support needed to achieve our vision that all children have a strong foundation to thrive. A successful candidate will have a people-centric mindset, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a broad base of functional experience to help strengthen the organization’s capacity and infrastructure. As a key member of U4C’s Executive team, you will serve as a cross functional leader in the execution of both strategic and organizational goals. This position will have an active role in establishing and executing systems and policies to ensure successful day-to-day operations, including IT, human resources, facilities management, and financial planning and reporting. If you’re a reliable leader who is energized by wearing many hats, having a wide range of responsibilities, meeting challenges head on, and ensuring the organization’s growth and sustainability, then this is the right position for you.
Strategy, Vision & Leadership (10%)
- Advise Executive Director and other key members of the Leadership team on budgeting/cash flow, human resources, policy, and team wellbeing matters.
- Manage and develop strategic goals and objectives relating to the overall management of the organization.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping Executive Director informed of critical issues.
- At the direction of the Executive Director, serve as the staff liaison to the finance and governance committees; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board of directors and committee meetings.
- Collaborate and coordinate among all departments to ensure operational activities are in full alignment of strategic initiatives.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
Operations Management (80%)
- Produce and implement a Balanced Scorecard metric for the Operations department.
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, and all agency standard operating procedures. Support agency staff on understanding and implementing.
- Maintain and improve the document control system of all vendor, accounting, human resources, and operational files so that all documents are easily accessible, relevant and current.
Drive Business Operations & Vendor Relationships:
- Manage third party vendor and community collaborator relationships that provide operational support to the organization, negotiate contracts, MOUs, and hold vendors accountable for their service level agreements.
- Manage and ensure compliance with federal, state and local standards, business filings, and liabilities. Reviews all legal documents and Terms of Services.
Lead HR Practices
- Foster a culture that promotes employee engagement, teamwork, performance management, accountability, continuous improvement, and professional development. Ensure strengths-based reflective supervision is embedded across the organizations’ performance management system.
- Manage relationship with professional employer organization (PEO). Serve as on-site HR leader, including managing employee performance management program, supporting supervisors in their role, enforcing HR policies, and handling all HR-related matters.
- Create, manage and improve all human resources strategies, functions, and compliances including staff training, professional development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and recruiting.
- Oversee and ensure accuracy of payroll, employee benefits, business insurance. Ensure compliance with all labor law and employment practices.
- Oversee process for performance evaluations and compensation review. Support recruitment and talent retention strategies.
- Create, manage and improve staff well-being strategies including internal communication plans, incentives, personal/professional development opportunities, health improvement initiatives, team building and fun.
- Provide analytical support to U4C’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
Oversee Facilities and Infrastructure:
- Oversee and analyze the current technology infrastructure and integrate the next level of information technology that support the needs of the overall organization.
- Oversee management of physical office, equipment, and other assets.
Coordinate Accounting Practices:
- Serve as liaison and communicator between outsourced accounting firm, the agency and staff.
- Collaborate with outsourced accounting firm who will lead all annual fiscal management activities: annual budget process, forecasting, annual audits (agency and program), tax filings, etc.
- Ensure outsourced accounting firm and development teams are supported to create and monitor grant budgets.
- Ensure compliance with financial, legal, and grant/funder requirements.
- Review and approve financial transactions.
- Monitor and manage bank accounts and cash flow.
- Track agency KPIs.
Administrative and Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Hire and empower a high-performing team: Inspire, motivate, evaluate, and develop a team who work in various administrative roles.
- Complete required agency reporting on time and accurately.
- Actively participate in required meetings and in personal professional development.
- Participate in the development of funding proposals.
- Engage with the Board of Directors, primary funders, and other key external stakeholders around organizational impact and plans for the future.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills We Are Looking For
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience in leading operations and management teams.
- A 4-year degree in Non-Profit Management, Business Administration, or related field, or culmination of related experience and education preferred.
- A strategic thinker who understands how operations, human resources and finances support the broader mission of the organization.
- Depth of experience in managing teams, supporting cross-functional collaboration, developing staff, and setting clear goals.
- Proven ability to control administrative expenses, while supporting organizational growth.
- Project management skills, and the ability to handle multiple and varying tasks with associated deadlines.
- Perseverance to ensure success in an environment of measurable accountability.
- Confidence in written and verbal communications and developing supportive relationships.
- Experience and confidence in technology management and technological use preferred.
- Experience in nonprofit financial management and experience with government contracts, is a plus.
- Understanding of GAAP and accrual-based accounting practices, is a plus.
- Experience with annual audit process, is a plus.
- Pass a Family Care and Safety Registry Screening.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Ability to retain a minimum of liability vehicle insurance.
- Experience and skill working with diverse populations.
- Conscientious use of justice, equity, and inclusion lens when working with self and others.
- Successful at working in multiple teams simultaneously.
- Ability to work occasional weekends and nights.
Perks and Benefits
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401 (K) contribution
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- PTO (PAID TIME OFF)
- Flexible Schedule
- Hybrid work environment
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ask about our other benefits
United 4 Children is an equal opportunity employer. United 4 children does not discriminate in employment with regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, age, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status or unfavorable discharge from military service or any other characteristic protected by law. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all qualified persons. Those applicants requiring accommodation to complete the application and/or interview process should contact a management representative.