Job Title: Inclusion Specialist – Social Emotional Early Childhood Project
Reports To: Director of Social Emotional Early Childhood Project
Summary: Provides extensive training and on-site observation and consultation services to classroom teachers enrolled in United 4 Children’s Social Emotional Early Childhood (SEEC) Project. This project focuses on increasing the skills and capacity of teachers working in early childhood programs to support children’s social and emotional development, and to address challenging behaviors in a pro-active, positive manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Recruits programs in the designated service area to participate in the year-long project.
Works with a team of inclusion specialists to develop and deliver full days of training on a social-emotional competence curriculum.
Supports teachers in developing a classroom action plan to implement strategies learned in the training.
Supports teachers in developing individualized plans on children whose challenging behavior puts them at greater risk for social-emotional delays.
Conducts a minimum of four on-site visits to a designated group of classrooms. At these visits the specialist will:
- Observe the classroom and teacher, focusing on implementation of pro-active social-emotional supports, and on individual children as needed.
- Meet with the teacher(s) following the observation to provide feedback, check-in on classroom and individual plans, give support and encouragement for changes that are occurring, assist teachers in modifying and enhancing plans.
- If appropriate, specialists may also use on-site classroom time to model appropriate interactions and strategies for teachers.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with administrators of programs whose teachers are enrolled in the project.
Maintains all necessary records regarding training, on-site visits, progress towards completion of classroom and individual plans, and provides this information as requested for reporting to funder and others as required.
Assist teachers and programs in accessing resources within the community as needed by the program or an individual child/family.
Additional duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and providing training on appropriate early childhood or youth development topics to providers in the community.
- Assisting with child care referrals and on-site services for children with special needs, including those with challenging behavior.
- Conducting Environmental Rating Scale Assessments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Education and Experience: Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in early childhood education, child development, special education, social work or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s Degree preferred. Minimum of two years experience supporting children of all abilities in a classroom setting. Prefer classroom teaching experience. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Registered, or able to be registered, with the State of Missouri’s training system.
- Language and Communication Skills: Must possess good verbal and written language skills; be able to speak well in public settings; have experience communicating and developing supportive relationships with a diverse group of adults and children.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to maneuver through an early childhood classroom in such a way as to make unobtrusive observations and interact with children at their level. Some standing during classroom observations and training sessions is required. Minimal lifting is required.
- Travel: Must travel between home, office and designated child care centers and/or homes. Must have reliable personal transportation and must have a valid Missouri or Illinois driver’s license and automobile insurance carrying the required level of automobile insurance.
To apply for this position please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, please put Inclusion Specialist in Subject Line
U4C is an equal opportunity employer.